Causes of Endometriosis
The exact reason why endometriosis occurs is still unknown but a number of theories have been put forward that helps to explain and understand it better. These theories are not mutually exclusive.
• Estrogens- Endometriosis is an estrogen dependent condition and is hence observed mostly in the fertile years of a women’s life.
• Retrograde menstruation- The backward flow of menstrual tissue that ultimately gets deposited on the organs in the pelvic region where it grows.
• Genetics- Sisters or daughters of women with endometriosis have a greater risk of contracting it themselves.
• Transplantation- In some patients it has been found to spread directly.
• Immune system- The relationship if any between endometriosis and autoimmune diseases is being studied but is still not clear.
• Environment- The presence of pesticides in the food, plastics used for cooking, methods of cooking such as microwaving.
• Birth defect
• Smoking- Smoking has been found to lower risks involved since it reduces the amount of estrogens.
• Aging- Endometriosis has been observed in post-menopausal women and in rare cases, girls who have not had their first period.